Black Cultural Center Naming
Students, faculty, staff, alumni, community members and any other interested persons are invited to review the criteria below and suggest an individual for whom the new Black Cultural Center (BCC) might be named.
President Michael H. Schill has charged a committee of students, faculty and staff to evaluate all nominations received by June 19 and provide three names for his consideration by July 10, 2019. A complete process timeline is below.
In addition to the applicable criteria set forth in UO Policy IV.07.02, President Schill asked the committee to use the following criteria to guide its deliberations:
- An individual who has made significant contributions in service, support, or honor to the University of Oregon or to the State of Oregon;
- An individual who has an extraordinary record of leadership and commitment to advancing justice and equity for Black people in Oregon;
- An individual who has demonstrated evidence of overcoming oppression and discrimination;
- An individual who strongly advocated for the pursuit of knowledge and advancement of higher education;
- An individual whose own work has led to an inclusive and equitable University of Oregon campus;
- An individual whose work has led to achievements of extraordinary and lasting distinction; and,
- An individual who has helped Black students and/or community members achieve success in higher education and the pursuit of careers.
Nominations must be submitted via completing a BCC naming nomination form, and received by 5:00 p.m. June 19, 2019.
- June 19, 2019 Deadline to submit nominations
- July 10, 2019 Committee provides three suggested names to President Schill
- July 24, 2019 Deadline for public comment on committee’s recommendations
- August 14, 2019 President publicly announces his recommendation for consideration by the Board of Trustees at its September 2019 meeting
- September 5–6, 2019 Board of Trustees considers President Schill’s recommendation
- October 11–12, 2019 Tentative grand opening dates for the Black Cultural Center
For more information on the Black Cultural Center, including the naming process, please email email@example.com.