In 2010, the Division Student Life initiated an annual recognition program. The Student Life Staff Recognition Program provides opportunities to honor individuals who have demonstrated pride in and passion for their work, actions that support department, division and university values, and performance that is clearly outstanding.
The program includes two parts: Quarterly Excellence Medallions and the Annual Excellence Awards. The nominations period for the current years Annual Excellence Awards is now open and will end September 26, 2016. Nominations for Quarterly Excellence Medallions are on-going.
Annual Excellence Awards
Recipients of annual excellence awards will be honored each year at the fall Student Life Breakfast. Recipients’ names will be placed on a perpetual plaque housed in the Vice President’s office. Recipients will also receive a personal award.
Anne Leavitt Award
The Anne Leavitt Award is the Division’s highest honor and is given to an individual whose contribution has changed the life of a student (or students) in a significant way. Anne believed in accessible, quality, public education, and that earning a degree changed the lives of individuals, families, Oregon communities, and society in general. Recipients will have clearly demonstrated an extraordinary commitment to students and their success. Nominations for this award must include specific examples to show the extent of the nominee’s dedication to student(s).
Anne Leavitt served as Vice President for Student Affairs from 2002–05. After earning both a master’s and doctorate degree in Educational Policy and Management from the UO, Anne joined the Division in 1984 and went on to hold a number of positions, including Associate Vice Provost and Dean of Students, before becoming Vice President. Anne retired from the UO in 2005 to become Director of Scholarships for the Ford Family Foundation. Anne died April 11, 2010, after a battle with cancer.
The Big Ideas Award
The Big Ideas Award honors an individual or group of individuals whose innovative idea has created significant change for students, the Division of Student Life, or the university. This award strives to celebrate not only the idea itself, but also the impact that the practical application of the idea has made. Nominees should be an individual or group of individuals who has demonstrated the ability to take initiative in developing a new or enhancing an existing program or service to meet the changing needs of the students, the Division, or the university.
The Core Values Award
The Core Values Award recognizes an employee that best exemplifies excellence in one or more of the Division’s core values: community, integrity, excellence, multicultural competence, compassion, personal development, collaboration, and responsible stewardship. Nominees must have shown extraordinary adoption of one or more of the core values in a work-related situation.
The One Oregon Award
The One Oregon Award is given to an individual or group of individuals for outstanding collaboration with other Student Life or university departments. The award recognizes those who demonstrate an ability to bring people together and work collaboratively with them towards a singular goal.
Excellence Medallions are awarded to employees whose words reflect a positive attitude, whose actions go beyond the expectations of their position, and whose work ethic demonstrates a willingness to do whatever it takes to provide a positive experience for our students.
Staff Recognition Award Guidelines
- Awards and commendations are available to permanent full-time and part-time employees in the Division of Student Life. Nominations for temporary or student employees are not accepted.
- The One Oregon Award may also include co-nominees from outside the Division of Student Life, for collaborations with Student Life staff.
- Any permanent employee in the Division of Student Life may make nominations.
- Nominations are reviewed and awards determined by the Student Life Staff Recognition Committee. The committee is appointed by the Vice President and has representation from each Student Life department and the Vice President’s office.
- The annual excellence awards will be presented during the fall Student Life Breakfast in October.
- Please review the award/commendation criteria carefully before making nominations. All criteria must be met in order to be considered. Awards are given for truly outstanding service that clearly goes above and beyond the expectations of the employee’s position.
- Nomination forms are required for each award, and should come from people familiar with the nominee’s service to the Division of Student Life.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Previous annual award winners are not eligible for consideration for three years after receiving an award. There is no limit on Excellence Medallion eligibility.
Questions regarding nominations may be directed to the Student Life Staff Recognition Committee.